Friday, March 20, 2009

Poll: Bottles

I need your help. My doctor said no more bottles for Reece but that is just not happening. Please tell me your experiences with switching from bottles to sippy cups only and the amount of liquid your kiddo drinks now. I am confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

8 comments:

Amy Ellis said...

Hey Jen! With both kids I just took the bottle away completely and put about the same amount (6-8 oz) of milk in the sippy cup. The best sippy cups ever are the Playtex ones because they don't spill or leak, but Reece may like one that has a softer spout, even the sporty ones with straws. I'd try a few different styles to see what will work. But just go cold turkey and he will soon realize that a cup is what he drinks out of now. He may not get as much liquid for a few days, but he'll be OK.

Anonymous said...

Brooke is drinking out of the Playtex cups with straws. Couldn't get her to drink out of the normal one but she LOVES the straw sippy cups. We've just started that in the last week, so we're still working on how much milk she drinks.

Leigh said...

Well, I had no clue that I was suppose to do that with Noah so he didn't stop them completely until 15 months. I stopped one at a time during the day by giving more solids and putting the liguid in the sippy cups. It's not always easy. The last bottle to go should be the nighttime bottle. Don't worry about it though. It'll come.

AW said...

I totally feel for you on this one.

Okay, here goes...

I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even start eliminating bottles for JK (4/day - 6 oz each) until about two months ago. :-S I had no idea it would be as hard as it was, or I would have done it sooner before he understood I was taking it away. IT WAS HARD.

We slowly narrowed it down to 2/day at sleep times only. But I couldn't get him to take milk from a sippy. Still can't. I've tried chocolate, soy, rice, nothing is working. He doesn't like cheese, yogurt or any other dairy product, so I'm still at a loss as for his calcium intake. Thank god he loves broccoli. LOL! Pediatrician said Tums. Ha. Yeah right.

A bout with the stomach flu eliminated the last two bottles because we were keeping him off dairy for just a few days and we haven't been back since. He asked for "miik" for about a week, but we used distraction methods to get him thinking of other stuff and that wasn't too terrible. He drinks as much apple juice and water as he wants. (approx 24-32 oz/day)

My advice. Do it asap. The older he gets, the harder it is. With this next one, I plan on removing the bottles as soon as we introduce sippys. Earlier the better.

Sorry for the novella.

Yelda said...

love the new background.

The Moshells said...

I started weaning Luke off of his bottles around 13 months. I started with the daytime bottles, and once he seemed ok, worked on getting rid of the morning bottle. The last to go was the bedtime and he probably wasn't off of that until 15-16 months. So I dragged the process out, so keep him comforted when needed, but also to make sure he was getting enough fluids as he learned how to better drink from a sippy. I knew he was done though when he wouldn't hardly drink his bedtime bottle, he just played around. I am a big fan of the sippy cups with straws and double handles. It helps keep the sugar (even from milk) from piling up around their teeth and some say helps prevent speech delays/impediments if they are prone to have one. Now Luke (2 years) drinks milk at each meal and then has water through the day readily available. Hope that helps!!

Anonymous said...

OH I am SO glad you are a year ahead of me on all of this! YOU are my best resource! THANK YOU! KT

Anonymous said...

Also, I had a "ba" til' 2 yrs. old...I seem okay...you know my issues. KT