Over the past few days, I have learned a thing or two about my own intuition. Being a mom requires you to use it quite a bit more than I did as a wife or daughter.
We have had sleep-less nights recently becuase I wasn't trusting my own intuition. After reading, no joke, 6 books on sleep for infants, I was making myself insane. They have contradictory statements which in turn made me question everything I was doing. When Reece finally fell asleep in his swing, I would pick him up and put him in bed because one of the authors said that babies must nap in their own room. Within 10 minutes, he was awake and screaming and would not fall back asleep. At night the same problem would arise - do we wake him at midnight to feed him? do we pat him in his crib for 20 minutes, do we pick him up and hold him and then put him down - just to have him cry again??? I was seriously going crazy.
Friday night, I had dinner with a friend of mine who reminded me that Reece was my son and to do what I think is best for him - use your motherly intuition. The books are for guidance and to provide suggestions. You, the MOM, have to decide what will work for your family. So... last night, after we bathed him and fed him, he slept with me. And we slept all night long with small breaks for eating - at 2, 4:30, 7. So, will he sleep with me every night, probably not. But I learned something... that it's okay and he isn't going to suffer his whole life b/c he actually slept - on his mom's chest. My intuition also tells me that we need to feed him more so he wakes up less during the night... And some day, a full night sleep awaits us. For now, one without fits of crying works for me!
Call it intuition or "cause and effect"... I knew as soon as I lifted Reece into the air a few times after eating, he might spit up. In fact, I said to myself, "Oh, don't do this b/c he may spit up in your face." I stopped. Phew - no puking here. Well that was until Monty picked him up to hold him... 

I just had this feeling... intuition?? or If you shake up a bunch of formula and then give it a minute, it will erupt! I am just so glad when the eruption occured, it happened on Monty! :)
And the last bit of intuition occured yesterday. We were getting Reece ready to go to his grandmas house - Mia and Duffy's... and we were getting dressed to go to church. I let Monty dress Reece.... and this is what happened....
There is a little baby boy's body somewhere in those pants... and the print on the shirt is black.
Mother's intuition - Don't let Dad pick out the outfits!!!

5 comments:
You've got it right, Jennifer - no one knows your baby better than you! So go with your gut and use the books for ideas, not the gospel truth. :)
One friend told me this, "Don't worry, she won't go to kindergarten sleeping in her swing." Haha!
I'm glad you had a night without crying. One down, a million to go. Or at least I know it seems that way. The rest will follow in time. You're doing great!
You should write a book :o)
It took a long time for me to find some confidence in parenting Jon. I still have my moments where I'm like, "Lord, what were you thinking by letting me be a parent?!?!" But Amanda and your friend are right...YOU are the expert when it comes to Reece, nobody else.
In a few short months he WILL be sleeping through the night and believe it or not, you'll miss those late night/early morning feedings. I was suprised at how much bonding took place in those quiet hours. Jon sleeping through the night reminds me now that he's growing up...and that's a hard pill to swallow sometimes. :-)
Congratulations! It will only feel better and better knowing that you (with God's help) know what your child needs!!
Hang in there on the sleeping issue! You WILL get a full night's sleep again! I promise!
(I don't miss waking up, but I secretly miss those night-time feedings. I got to steal all kinds of rocking time!!)
Post a Comment