Thursday, August 21, 2008

Impact

Needless to say this week as been rough. It started out good - hence the "Yay" post. But since Monday, I have struggled. I think maybe I should have started Reece last week at day care; for me not for him. He does fine - loves Ms. Kamlah and his new friends that he apparently yells to from exer-saucer to swing. The problem the lack of time that I am spending with him. He has been zonked when I pick him up...and I know this is to be expected but it's so hard to put him to bed when Monty is just getting home (615ish) - but he almost fell asleep in the bath the other night and that would have been bad, very bad. I know it will improve- I hope and pray that we find a new normal.
Anyway, today was particularly hard for me because Monty left for his fantasy football draft weekend --- yes it's four days long. The draft is one night. Which means single momma for 4 days which would normally be fine--- But school starts on Monday so this week is like super crazy; my mind is a disorganized to-do list of important things that must get done as well as help my mentee teacher and you know, be at school tonight from 4-6 for a casual open house/supply sale. Oh and I have to figure out what I am going to teach next week! Minor point.
Soo.. at the open house thing, I spoke to some of my parents (I had their kids in 4th gr.) and they were all so thrilled that I am their kiddos teacher. One in particular said something that made me realize why, throughout my crazy emotions and long-ass days, I love my job. I said to her to pray for me to find a balance with teaching and being a mom. Her husband said, you keep doing this because you don't realize the impact you have had on this group of children. You have touched them - and you will continue to impact them just by being here. You are affecting them and are able to be a great mom. It was a simple statement that I once said often as part of my reason for teaching - to impact lives. But I had forgotten why I guess. To know that my kids are excited to learn and also respect me and learn from me everyday -- it made my evening improve. Reece stayed awake until 7 and we played peekaboo with a wash cloth. His giggles and laughing screams made my day. It is an adjustment. But to impact my son and 50 other kids each and every day may make this do-able. So remind me if I am having a hard day or week...I am impacting children with love, respect, and of course stellar science instruction. If you are still reading, sorry for lack of punctuation and rambling but sitting down and writing is cathartic -so thank you.

9 comments:

kinsey said...

of course i read every word! and we are going to keep each other going this year...we can do it ;-)

Amy Ellis said...

I completely know how you feel right now. I'm in the same boat, and feel like someone stole my paddles! Hang in there, it will get better-- right?

Yelda said...

You can do it! haha :o) I know you are super capable and passionate about your job and being a mom! Take a breath and enjoy it! love ya!

TeamBortzfield said...

We missed you Wednesday but completely understand. I know you and Reece will get the hang of your new routine soon and you'll make plenty of time for everything...including yourself. Keep it up girl!

Team Davis said...

I started crying when I read this. Partly because it is so good to hear the impact you are making and I know my husband hopes to make the same impact...and partly because I am already struggling with going back to work in a few weeks. I can't imagine leaving him right now. I know he is going to be fine and I'm sure this will be much harder on me than on him, as you said. Sometimes I feel like I need him more than he needs me. :)
In answer to your question, it is harder with Stephen gone but we are managing. He has been getting home really late, between 8 and 9pm because of football stuff so it is hard to find time for the necessities, like going to the bathroom. :)
Anyway, I will continue to pray for you guys! Hope your first week of school is WONDERFUL!

AW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Luke, Kristen and Pierce said...

Praying for you. You're such a good mom!

AW said...

Jen, not to sound patronizing, but I'm so proud of you. The first week is hard. But you do eventually find your new normal.

Something Ms. Kamlah said to me about a month after being back at work...she said that JK blesses her. So sweet, she prays for these babies every night and yet they bless her. So I try to remember that. Everyday, while we're doing the job that God has given us, our sons are doing the job they are given to do: bless everyone they come in contact with. A job they couldn't have if they stayed at home only with us all day long!

So glad to know things have been put in a new perspective for you. The kids this week will be better kids because of you. ;-)

A

Pandamonium said...

I prayed for you this morning! I hope your first day back is reassuring to you that you are exactly where you need to be!

Love you both!
Amanda (and Rachie!)