Monday, August 25, 2008

Exactly where...

I need to be. I had a GREAT first day. Reece did great and his teachers and I had a little talk today about my expectations -- like following the 4 to 1 ration at all times. My classes were so fun. I think I am going to absolutely love 6th graders. They are so funny and a bit awkward. And watch out after recess (at 12:50) you can smell them from the end of the hall! Welcome to hormone-hood. Thank you for all of your prayers - I know that they helped. I didn't even have the crazy back to school dreams. I know I may sound flip-floppy sometimes on this issue -but maybe it was b/c I was pms-y last week. BUT I really do love being with students and watching them learn. A short school story -- we are encouraging them all to join band/orch this year. It's an elective but if they don't take it I am responsible for doing something educational with them for the last 45 minutes of school. Hence the big push from us this year. It's a strange concept to sell these kids on something that I seriously would have never ever been caught dead doing. But now, I see the real value in playing an instrument... truly. One of my "bigger" boys said he wants to play flute. Interesting. Not the drums, not the cello/bass, not the sax or even tuba, but a flute. I guess it could have been the piccolo. I am learning so much. :) Off to decide how to best teach the safety of science tools. I think that they are going to write about the "Day in the life" of a pair of safety goggles.

4 comments:

Yelda said...

your too funny. I played the trumphet, you got a problem with that?? :O) i actually wanted to play the french horn, first, cause it was french, second cause i thought it was really pretty and shiny, and 3rd, I wanted something with just 3 keys. But it was like a raffle type thing so by the time it was my turn it was trumphet for me, i still have my yamaha trumphet my parents brought back from the states for me, I now wish I didn't quit playing it, obvs band was not cool at loomis, i don't even think i knew 1 person in band ahahah.
It was fun though back in middle school because EVERYONE was in band, and we started in the 4th grade i think, and since it was mandatory it kept everyone together.. thoughts from yelda... ponder... hahah sorry that was long.. love ya, Yelda

TeamBortzfield said...

I'm glad your day went smoothly, I was thinking about you. Don't laugh but Jimmy picked the clarinet because he could hide it in his backpack...pretty smart kid.

kinsey said...

i am so glad you love 6th grade!! can't wait to hang out this weekend and hear ALL about it...

The Linders said...

So glad that things are going well so far and you're feeling good about teaching this year - if it's in your blood, it's in your blood :)